What are 5 Aussie slang words or phrases?
125 Australian Slang Words & Phrases
- A Cold One – Beer.
- Accadacca – How Aussies refer to Australian band ACDC.
- Ankle Biter – Child.
- Arvo – Afternoon (S’Arvo – this afternoon!)
- Aussie Salute – Wave to scare the flies.
- Avo – Avocado.
- Bail – To cancel plans. ‘Bruce bailed’ = Bruce isn’t going to turn up.
- Barbie – Barbecue.
What are common Australian phrases?
Australian slang: 33 phrases to help you talk like an Aussie
- Wrap your laughing gear ’round that.
- Dog’s breakfast. …
- Tell him he’s dreaming. …
- A few stubbies short of a six-pack. …
- What’s the John Dory? …
- Have a Captain Cook. …
- No worries, mate, she’ll be right. …
- Fair go, mate. Fair suck of the sauce bottle. …
How do they say hello in Australia?
G’day. One of the first things you’ll hear when in Australia, is the classic “G’day, mate”, which is basically the same as saying, “good day”, or “hello”.
What Bogan means?
Bogan is the most significant word to be created in Australian English in the past 40 years. It is defined as “an uncultured and unsophisticated person; a boorish and uncouth person” in the 2016 edition of the Australian National Dictionary.
Can you call a girl mate in Australia?
In Australia it’s fine to call anyone mate.
In many countries it would sound rude or weird to be called mate by a stranger. Like : why do you call me your mate, we don’t even know each other, it’s the first time we meet.
What is the most Aussie word?
The 25 most common Australian slang words
- See ya this arvo – See you this afternoon.
- Being dacked – When someone pulls your pants down.
- Give a wedgie – When someone pulls your pants up your bum.
- Dunny – toilet, bathroom – D’ya know where the dunny is, mate?
How do I offend someone in Australia?
14 Ways to Annoy an Australian
- Talk About Sports. …
- Confuse Them with New Zealanders. …
- Demonstrate a Terrible Australian Accent. …
- Criticise Their BBQ. …
- Pom, Pommy, Pommie. …
- Compliment Men on their Macho-ness. …
- Take Them Down Memory Lane. …
- Criticise Crocodile Dundee.
What do Aussies call kangaroos?
roo – kangaroo
They had to have a dedicated slang term for kangaroos too, didn’t they? After all, the kangaroos are Australia’s most popular animals.
Why do Aussies say mate?
In Australia, a ‘mate’ is more than just a friend and is a term that implies a sense of shared experience, mutual respect and unconditional assistance.
How do Aussies say good morning?
But in Australia we say “G’day” all the time, and especially the more working-class you are, as you go out into the countryside, you’re going to hear people like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee, that kind of stereotypical Australian saying, “G’day mate.” G’day.
What do Aussies call dogs?
Dish licker. Usually means a canine/dog.
What is a Bergen in Australia?
(Noun) An uncouth or uncultured person. See also: feral, ratbag, reptile, bevan etc. “I can’t understand that bogan’s broad Australian accent.”
What does Gronk mean in Australia?
extremely derogatory term for a person less intelligent than oneself: You’re such a gronk.
What is a bludger?
a person who scrounges. a person who avoids work. a person in authority regarded as ineffectual by those working under him.